Heading into GW12, a gaggle of the nerdiest among the Togga faithful dissected yet another FPL_Murph trade proposal, which presents a suitable microcosm of where things stand with the fantasy end of England’s top flight football: Jamie Vardy + Paul Pogba for Sergio Aguero + Sead Kolasinac. Of the participants, John, Mike P, Sean, and Andrew liked the Vardy/Pogba side while Chuck and I thought it was asinine to give up Aguero. What follows below is a summary of the rhetoric involved.
- Pogba has been hurt for two months and before form comes fitness. It’s tempting to pin the hopes of an attacking renaissance on Pogba’s recovery, but a closer look at United’s early season marauding reveals more than the loss of Pogba. Simply put, they played crap teams for a dozen straight fixtures until Mourinho moped into Anfield to earn a point in a bloodless 0-0 draw against their first real competition. Subsequently, United have managed just 8 goals from six, including a 1-0 loss to Chelsea and a 1-0 defeat of Kaneless Spurs. In other words, it’s not only Pogba’s injury but Mourinho being Mourinho.
- Claud Puel has proven that the problem with Southampton may indeed by Southampton. Leicester are well-organized and have rediscovered the teeth in their counterattacking. Mahrez is in a rich vein of form, too, so Horrible Person Jamie Vardy may be worth keeping around.
- It turns out Murph has Lukaku, which led to the conversation about the perils of being too dependent on United for scoring.
- Here’s my scientific evidence of why Aguero and Kolasinac have so much more to offer. Look at them. Those dudes are just so much better looking. Facts.
Without further ado and with two of my mancrushes now declared, let’s get started.
- Postscript from GW11: Ramsey and Fernandinho finished inside the top 12, but Bakayoko and Mooy had stinkers. The one useful thing Choupo-Moting did over 90 minutes accounted for 9 of his 13.5 points, so I remain, ahem, unimpressed. *sips tea and extends pinky finger*
- Studs: What else does Richarlison have to do earn Top Five consideration? Watford are at home against a hapless shitcake called West Ham. Among forwards, to complement his four goals and league-leading 4 assists, he’s top five in tackles and interceptions, #7 in aerials won, #1 in successful take-ons, and #9 in key passes. Go ahead and tell me why he’s not deserving of the respect I’ve given him this week (and probably rest of season). No really, please @ me.
- Duds: Manolo Gabbiadini still gets Top 20 nods from rankers with zero justification. Southampton are headed to Anfield to get ran into the dirt and no amount of playing deep, dull, defensive football will lead to production from the still-sulking-post-Sweden Italian striker. NO REALLY, PLEASE @ ME.
|1||David de Gea||Kyle Walker||Kevin De Bruyne||Harry Kane|
|2||Lukasz Fabianski||Marcos Alonso||Christian Eriksen||Mohamed Salah|
|3||Nick Pope||Antonio Valencia||Sadio Mane||Sergio Aguero|
|4||Mat Ryan||Sead Kolasinac||Eden Hazard||Roberto Firmino|
|5||Asmir Begovic||Cesar Azpilicueta||David Silva||Richarlison|
|6||Kasper Schmeichel||Serge Aurier||Philippe Coutinho||Romelu Lukaku|
|7||Jordan Pickford||Jan Vertonghen||Leroy Sane||Alvaro Morata|
|8||Jonas Lossl||Danny Rose||Dele Alli||Alexis Sanchez|
|9||Fraser Forster||Virgil Van Dijk||Aaron Ramsey||Raheem Sterling|
|10||Thibaut Courtois||Stephen Ward||Wilfried Zaha||Alexander Lacazette|
|11||Heurelho Gomes||Nacho Monreal||Mesut Ozil||Jamie Vardy|
|12||Simon Mignolet||Ben Mee||Riyad Mahrez||Gabriel Jesus|
|13||Hugo Lloris||Chris Smalling||Cesc Fabregas||Marcus Rashford|
|14||Petr Cech||Alberto Moreno||Xherdan Shaqiri||Wayne Rooney|
|15||Joe Hart||Shane Duffy||Manuel Lanzini||Pedro|
|16||Rob Elliot||Eric Bailly||Anthony Knockaert||Joshua King|
|17||Ederson||Cedric Soares||Yohan Cabaye||Steve Mounie|
|18||Ben Foster||Charlie Daniels||Heung-Min Son||Mame Biram Diouf|
|19||Lee Grant||Davide Zappacosta||Henrikh Mkhitaryan||Tammy Abraham|
|20||Julian Speroni||Leighton Baines||Pascal Gross||Chris Wood|
|21||Matthew Lowton||Fernandinho||Glenn Murray|
|22||Christian Fuchs||Nathan Redmond||Andy Carroll|
|23||Ryan Bertrand||Abdoulaye Doucouré||Dominic Calvert-Lewin|
|24||John Stones||Andros Townsend||Andre Gray|
|25||Kyle Naughton||Sofiane Boufal||Manolo Gabbiadini|
|26||James Tarkowski||Aaron Mooy|
|27||Aaron Cresswell||N'Golo Kante|
|28||Kurt Zouma||Matt Ritchie|
|29||Maya Yoshida||Davy Propper|
|31||Vincent Kompany||Tiemoué Bakayoko|
|32||Jose Holebas||Dusan Tadic|
|33||Joel Matip||Granit Xhaka|
|34||Martin Olsson||Tom Cleverley|
|35||Hector Bellerin||Robbie Brady|
|36||Kiko Fermenia||Wilfried Ndidi|
|37||Simon Francis||Tom Ince|
|39||Davinson Sanchez||Nemanja Matic|
|40||Nathan Ake||Oriol Romeu|
This season, our weekly fantasy Premier League ranks are a one-man affair, with Benji Wade taking over the mantle. You can find him on Twitter: Follow @benjiwade.